Finally I get to settle down and pen this post !! Although I have been on leave on the day before, I think I am more busy when I am on leave than when I am not !! Gosh, and I still have a lot of pending stuffs not done yet ! I wanna re-pack the house for a start because of erm… you know lar… too much taobao shopping already. I need to readjust all the space to make sure all the impulse purchases can fit it.
And with some blessings, I manage to conduct my first ever lesson in agar agar mooncakes making and I really enjoyed it alot !! Then I gotta attend my own lesson at Asian Culinary Institute !! Talking about being a teacher and a student at the same time. This must be it !! Lol.
Then I realise I really wanted to do something for the festive, even though it’s just a few days away only and despite I still have some pending stuffs not completed yet. So I worked through the night, which has been quite a rare feat recently already because of extreme tiredness after work recently. I guess I should just take more leave arh ?? Hahaha !!
I can’t wait for year end to come then where all the year end holidays and clearing of leave starts. That’s where I can really do all that I want to my heart’s content. But before that, let’s welcome the Mooncakes Festival with these Rainbow Mooncakes with a “Salted Egg Yolk” !!
- 1¼ teaspoons agar agar powder
- 2 pcs pandan leaves
- 70g sugar
- 280ml water
- 2-3 drops each of orange and yellow food coloring
- ½ tablespoon agar agar powder
- 40 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons agar agar powder
- 150 g sugar
- 450 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- Some colourings (namely pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, cyan, purple)
- For pictorial Step-by-Step Instructions on how to do the "Egg Yolk" and "FIllings", please refer to this link here. For the Agar Agar Jelly Egg Yolk : Boil all ingredients together until sugar dissolves and remove from heat. Stir in coloring and pour into jelly ball ice cube tray, press tight. Unmould when they are set.
- For the Fillings : Combine all ingredients and bring it to boil. Remove from heat and add in yellow coloring and mix well. Pour into muffins moulds and leave to set before unmoulding.
- For the Skin : Boil all ingredients together until sugar is dissolved and mixture is sizzling with alot of bubbles. Reduce the heat to low and allow it to be kept warm.
- For the first layer of pink/red (as desired), scope around 8 tbsp of agar agar mixture out and add in the colouring. Add 2 tbsp of mixture into each mooncake mould. When the layer has set, use a fork and poke holes all over. Add in the "Fillings with the Egg Yolk" from Step 2.
- Continue with around 6-7 tbsp of agar agar mixture with around 1.5 tbsp of mixture for each mould for the next colour by poking holes each time before continuing with the next layer. Continue with the rest of the colours till the 2nd last layer.
- For the last layer, add in the last colour to the balance agar agar mixture in the pot. Fill the mould with the mixture till it is entirely covered.
- Allow the agar agar to set completely before unmoulding. Serve chilled.