Prior to this dish, it didn’t come across to me that a combination of chilli sauce, lemongrass, curry leaves and curry powder will actually make the chicken so tasty !! In fact, I thought it would just be another type of curry chicken meal. But much to my surprise, the end result wasn’t anywhere near to a curry chicken either.
In fact, it’s a succulent sauce that coats the chicken well and somehow it actually tastes like one of those korean kind of sauce coated chicken but modified towards a Chinese food kinda context. In fact, I think this chicken present itself as a very suitable and awesome homely dish (家常菜)。Something simple and yet comforting food.
And a great piece of news to share ! The blog has been ranked #3 out of the top 50 blogs in Singapore from FoodPanda magazine here !! Even though it’s not a serious competition of any sorts, still it was an honour to be able to attain this achievement. At least, it will spur me to continue with my efforts and passion.
Coming back to the Tasty Chicken dish, it has a good blend of spices involved yet not overly infused. With the addition of savouriness from the fish and oyster sauce, the flavours that are added to the dish is nicely incorporated.
So if you are running out of ideas on how to cook chicken which happens to me at times, do give this a shot. I trust you will like this as much as I do too ! Enjoy !!
- 2 chicken whole legs, cut into 3 small pieces each
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 chilli padi, diced
- 2 lemongrass, chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- ½ tbsp curry powder (preferably meat curry powder)
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil + more for frying the chicken
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tbsp kecap manis (sweet soya sauce)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- Make a few slits on the thicker parts of the chicken, especially the thighs. Add in all the marinade ingredients to marinade the chicken parts for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Heat up some cooking oil in a pot and fried the chicken parts till they are cooked and turn golden brown. Drain the oil and place the chicken on paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Use one tbsp of cooking oil from the previous step and add to a frying pan. Add the minced garlic, chilli padi, lemongrass and curry leaves. Stir fried briefly till fragrant.
- Add in the curry powder and water.
- Add in all the sauce ingredients and allow it to simmer on low heat till it boils.
- Add in the chicken parts. Stir and mix well so that the sauce coats the chicken parts. When the sauce thickens and becomes much lesser, remove from flame.
- Garnish as desired and serve hot.