This dish actually comprises of a few cooking methods. First of all, I have to marinade the pork ribs, then deep fried them to seal in the flavours, then braised it to tenderness and thereafter baked it in the oven to achieve the slight grilled texture.
But as people always say, patience counts, so with all the efforts that was put in, you are bound to get yourself a real appetising dish at the end of the day for all the hard work that was put in !!
Although the name of the dish seems like a Western meal, but with all the ingredients and cooking methods, I would tend to think it’s more of a chinese dish instead. Furthermore, if you do watch those Hong Kong channels on cable like me, the first time I saw this dish was during those timings in between the shows. They would introduce some short recipes to fill up the time gaps when one show has ended and the time for the next one has not come. As most of the recipes introduced were generally chinese or hong kong dishes and this happens to be one of those, it pretty much conforms my understanding henceforth.
But because it also comprises of a variety of cooking methods, the end result is a very flavoursome dish that’s happily satisfying, at least to me !!
Pork ribs have been one of my “have-to-order” items from PurelyFresh on almost every occasion. I liked the versatility of how pork ribs can be used in the everyday cooking. And even if you have completely zero idea on how to use them, a simple ABC kinda soup with pork ribs can suffice adequately too !
So, it’s time to zoom in to this mouth-watering dish now !! Enjoy !!
- 500g pork ribs
- 2 potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, coarsely sliced
- 4 shallots, minced
- 4 garlics, minced
- 10g butter
- some cooking oil
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 250ml stock / water
- Combine the pork ribs with the marinade ingredients and set aside for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- Heat up some cooking oil till very hot and deep fried the pork ribs till golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Do it in batches so that the temperature of the oil does not dip too much. Do not over fried the pork ribs as they will turn dry. Also, deep fry the potatoes till the edges turn brown and blanch the sliced onions in the hot oil. Remove and drain all well.
- Using 2 tbsp of cooking oil from the previous step, stir fried the minced garlics and shallots till fragrant.
- Add in all the sauce ingredients, mix well and allow it to simmer on low heat till it boils.
- Add in the pork ribs, potatoes and onions from Step 2. Stir to mix well. Cook all on low heat for approximately 10 to 15 minutes till the sauce is very thick and drying up. Stir occasionally during the cooking time to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan when the sauce is drying up.
- Remove from heat and transfer the pork ribs, potatoes and onions into a baking pan. Brush the butter on top of the pork ribs.
- Bake at 200 degrees C for 20 minutes until the pork ribs looks lightly grilled and brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.