Paper wrapped chicken is essentially marinated chicken wings wrapped tightly in greaseproof paper and deep fried in hot oil. By wrapping it up, the moisture of the chicken is retained and the flavours from the marination is well kept within the succulent meat.
And I have the impression initially that the chicken itself will be very oily since it is deep fried. But it was still manageable and one noticeable difference I reckon from this dish is that the chicken does retains its moisture better than just normal frying without the paper. This is more especially so if the dish is not being consumed immediately as usually chicken which has been deep fried would turn hard or dry. But if you have not removed the paper yet, the chicken stays juicy and tender and the flavours are there to savour.
Well, it’s a TGIF ! So I shall not bored you with more words. Here you go ~~
Enjoy this paper wrapped chicken to the fullest, even if it’s just devouring on the pictures for now ! :D
- 6 pcs medium size chicken wings, cut the mid-joints and wings separately
- some cooking oil
- 6 pcs of greaseproof paper, 20 by 20 cm
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp ginger juice (you can get ginger juice by grating some old ginger finely and squeezing out the juice by hand thereafter.)
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Wash and pat dry the chicken with paper towels. Poke the chicken with a sharp skewer all over. Add all the marinade ingredients and rub them all over the chicken by hand. Set aside for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
- Using a pastry brush, brush some oil all over one side of the greaseproof paper. Place the mid-joint and the drumstick into the middle of the paper.
- Using one end of the paper, fold up in a triangular pattern till ¾ of the paper.
- Wrap in the left and right side of the paper, just like an envelope wrapping.
- Fold down the top end of the paper and wrap in the edge tightly. Continue with the rest of the wrapping till all chicken wings are wrapped.
- Heat up some cooking oil till very hot before reducing the heat to low. Add in paper wrapped chicken and fried till the colour changes.
- Remove the paper wrapped chicken and drain well on paper towels. As the paper is very hot at this point in time, allow the chicken to be cooled slightly before un-wrapping the paper.
- Serve hot.