Been seeing many salted egg yolk stuffs around recently, I couldn’t resist the temptation and hence I told myself I wanna make some too !! There were quite a number of salted egg yolks recipes in the collection which you can find most of them here. As we all know, salted egg yolks is often paired with seafood and poultry. But having had a bit too much of these after the recent trip made me want to cut down on these for now. Hence, I was thinking along the line to incorporate salted egg yolk into some kind of vegetables. So here comes the Crispy Salted Egg Yolk Pumpkin. Coated with double layers of corn flour to ensure its crispiness to stay, and coated abundantly with sizzling salted egg yolks mash. Gosh, it was so so good !
Pumpkin is sweet by nature and paired with the salted egg yolks, it’s a heavenly sweet and salty combination. Instead of mashy pumpkin that I used to cook with the seafood in the previous recipe here, I had the pumpkin sliced and deep fried till crispy, similar to those fried tapioca or sweet potatoes. And thereafter cooked further with salted egg yolks sauce.
I used to not like pumpkin that much but now that I realised pumpkin is really a versatile vegetable in many dishes, I am starting to enjoy it ! The only setback is they are difficult to slice as the skin is really thick to cut through. Does anyone has a better way of cutting pumpkins though ?
Was supposed to be a cooking marathon day for me, but I was so dead beat after the first round, especially after all the massive cleaning up and the seemingly unlimited amount of items for the once a week wash up !! Now I just feel like nua-ing all the way, but it’s already 9pm and work will start again on bluey Monday once more !! I need more time, more sleep, more $, more time, more sleep, more $, hahahaha, and the cycle can repeat for itself for countless times.
And did I ever mentioned I am a fan of the very popular K-drama Descendants of the Sun ?! I think I did, but I do want to say it again !! For those who has not watched, you really ought to see it ! I am loving every single episode of the story ! It’s a big twist from the usual K-drama where you uncover hidden mysteries of the lead’s family background or secret lives, but this show features how the doctors and soldiers work together to save the many lives of their common people in times of crisis and all. It has a more realistic and meaningful storyline in addition to the beautiful faces of the K-idols.
Hope you guys enjoy the most popular K-drama now as much as you like this Crispy Salted Egg Yolk Pumpkin !! And if you need fresh vegetables or groceries to serve your cooking needs anytime, do hop onto PurelyFresh online now ! Other than them being my faithful sponsor for all my groceries needs that far, I am loving the freshness and quality of their produce and prompt deliveries without fail each time.
Enjoy !! And hope the Monday blues past away in a jiffy too !!
- 200-250g pumpkin, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 5 salted egg yolks, mashed
- 1 egg, beat lightly
- 6 tbsp corn flour (for coating)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 chili padi, diced
- 4 tbsp cooking oil + more for deep frying
- Add the sugar, salt and pepper to the sliced pumpkins and mix well. Set aside.
- Mash the salted egg yolks and set aside.
- Coat the sliced pumpkin with a thin even layer of corn flour, dip into the beaten egg, and coat the pumpkin further with another layer of corn flour.
- Heat up some cooking oil for deep frying the pumpkins. When the oil is hot enough, lower the well coated pumpkin slices into the hot oil and deep fried till crispy golden brown.
- Drain the deep fried pumpkin slices on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of cooking oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat and saute the minced garlic, chilli padi and curry leaves till fragrant.
- Add in the salted egg yolks from Step 2 and additional 3 tbsp of cooking oil.
- When the salted egg yolks sauce start to sizzles and many bubbles and foam are formed, reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the crispy pumpkin slices from Step 5 and stir gently till all the pumpkins are well coated with the salted egg yolk sauce. Off the heat.
- Dish and serve hot.