It’s the school holidays ! Although it doesn’t really impact me in anyway, but seeing many mummies scrambling to prepare meals for their little ones at home, it suddenly dawn on me that I have this pending recipe which I have not posted ! As you can see from my blog, it’s not often that I am into western food and cooking, but once in a while, when I do have that mad craving, I will make the effort to !
Especially when there was quite a fair bit of soft drinks leftover from the CNY, it does make all the sense to prepare these Root Beer Battered Fish N Chips. Now you may ask why Root Beer. Usually what we seen at cafes are mainly beer battered, but if you are intending to prepare them for your kiddos, root beer does make more sense since they are non alcoholic and also being I do not really enjoy the taste of beer either and I find that root beer doesn’t lose out in flavor in anyway too !
Now to enjoy a dish of this at a cafe setting would probably set you back for another $20 or more. Enjoying this from the comfort of your home sweet home setting definitely save you some bucks and pairing them with some chips will certainly excite the little ones !
- 2 pcs fish fillets (you can use either dory or cod fillets, apply some salt and sugar onto it to firm up the flesh before use)
- some frozen french fries (or you can deep fried your own from sliced potatoes)
- some cooking oil, for deep frying
- 2 slices of lemon
- 4 tbsp flour, for coating
- 45g flour
- 60g cold Root Beer
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp potato starch flour
- some salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the root beer batter and mix till a smooth flowing batter is formed.
- Coat the fish fillets with the flour evenly and lower the fish entirely into the root beer batter. (This is to allow the batter to stick to the flour during deep frying, and not slip away.)
- Heat up some cooking oil for deep frying. When the oil is hot enough, dip the battered fish fillets into the hot oil and deep fried till golden brown, turn once or twice to ensure evenly brown.
- Deep fried the french fries and serve alongside with the fish, together with some salads/vegetables, tartar/chili mayonnaise sauce and lemon slices.