The main lead for the dish should be the braised pork belly as the name implies. But I seem to have a penchant for the lava eggs instead. What an irony, isn’t it.
Now I don’t really do this often as anything braised typically needs a longer cooking time as the braised sauce needs time to be fully infused into the whatever poultry you are using. And very often that not, I tried to prepare and cook a meal that can be settled deliciously within an hour. The braising for this Taiwanese braied pork belly took me slightly more than an hour, and that’s excluding preparation of the sides, such as the lava eggs and blanched vegetables.
But the weather was cool and the mood was relaxed as I was on leave, so i have no qualms about preparing this intricate dish that far exceed my usual expectations.
And eggs that go often with the braised pork are usually the hard boiled eggs, being infused with the pork belly in the sauce together. But this type of eggs aren’t exactly my cup of tea as the egg yolks will turn dry. In comparison, the lava flowing soft boiled eggs looks much more inviting anytime. So why not?
Now you don’t have to go all the way to Taiwan to enjoy this authentic dish anymore. I love instances like this when i have all the time and freedom to prepare and cook something that’s so desirably appetizing. Most importantly, your belly gets all satisfied at the end of the day and make you a happier being ! So fiery your pots and pans and enjoy this Taiwanese Braied Pork Rice with Lava Eggs !
Get your pork belly diced neatly and nicely for you from PurelyFresh at no additional charge ! That certainly reduces the time and hassle in preparation and allows you to enjoy your favorite dish in a shorter time span !
- 150ml cooking oil
- 100g shallots, chopped
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 500g pork belly, diced
- 50g pork skin, removed fats and diced (optional)
- 1 litre water
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 3-4 eggs
- 60ml light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp sugar
- Heat up the oil in a deep frying pan or wok and add the chopped shallots and minced garlic. Stir fried till light golden brown.
- Dish up, drain and set aside.
- Remove the oil but using the same pan/wok, add the diced pork belly.
- Stir fried till all has changed color from pinkish to cooked.
- Add in the pork skin, if using and stir to mix well.
- Add in all the seasoning and stir till well combined and aromatic.
- Add in the water, sweet rice vinegar and the fried shallots and minced garlic from Step 1.
- Bring the mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to low after the mixture has boiled and allow it to simmer for a further 1 hour.
- Taste and add more water if necessary and simmer longer.
- Prepare the Lava eggs : Bring water to a boil in a pot. Switch to low heat after water has boiled. Add the eggs and allow it to cook for approximately 6 minutes.
- Remove the eggs and place them in a bowl of ice water to cool.
- Peel off the egg shell carefully and cut into halves. Serve the braised pork with rice, some blanched vegetables and the lava eggs.