I know many of us are die-hard fans of anything salted egg yolk ! And so am I !!! Hehehe. It’s been really ages since I last had the Salted Egg Yolk Prawns. And when I went shopping recently, I noticed there were a lot of Halloween décor and stuffs on display in Daiso. That’s when I realized Halloween seems to be round the corner. But instead of Halloween and pumpkin bakes, I decide to give it a new fusion twist… by incorporating it into an Asian cuisine. Especially when these really great and fresh prawns were delivered from PurelyFresh, you know what it’s gonna be, aren’t you !!
This shall be my version 2 of the Salted Egg Yolk Prawns !! I had a very old post about salted egg yolk prawns here where I derived the sauce from custard cream and mixed them with salted egg yolks for the extra hue and kick. So it was more to a rich creamy and savoury gravy. And this time, I decided to pair it alongside with the good old pumpkin which also provides an equally brilliant shade as the salted egg yolk and on top of that, the extra sweetness from it. Compiled with a faint twinge of spice from the curry leaves and chili padis, it’s really an awesome dish of sweet and savory flavour all in one. So it shall be Golden Pumpkin Salted Egg Yolk Prawns this round !! Hehehe !!
To be frank, I am rarely a pumpkin person to begin with. However, I realized I managed to finished this entire plate of Golden Pumpkin Salted Egg Yolk Prawns all by myself ! Opps.. I am such a glutton I know.. L But only to certain kinds of foods I really liked. What I so loved about this dish, other than the salted egg yolks, is perhaps the ease on how this dish is beefed up.
In fact, only some simple seasoning is required here. What you probably need are some fresh prawns and the food ingredients itself will do the wonders. There was a good number of 20 such medium sized prawns from PurelyFresh which comes in a tray that you could split them between 2 meals for a small family or easily finish them at one go for larger groups.
Eat what tonight huh ? How about placing an order for these Golden Pumpkin Salted Egg Yolk Prawns ? ^-^
- 300g pumpkin
- 20-25 pcs of medium sized prawns
- 3 pcs of salted egg yolk (cooked & mashed finely)
- 1-2 pcs of chilli padis
- 10 pcs of curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp sweet rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- dash of salt
- some cooking oil
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- Cut the pumpkin into small pieces. Steam/microwave them until soft, approximately 4 minutes on microwave.
- Mash the soft pumpkin into a paste and mix well with the shaoxing wine, vinegar, salt and onion powder. Set aside.
- Remove the shells and veins of the prawns, clean well and pat dry. Coat lightly with the flour coating.
- Heat up some oil in a deep frying pan for deep frying the prawns. Add the flour coated prawns into the hot oil and deep fried them till golden brown. Remove and drain well on paper towel.
- Leaving some oil in the pan on low heat, add the minced garlic, ginger, chilli padi and curry leaves and stir fried till aromatic.
- Add the mashed pumpkin from step 2 and stir briefly to mix well. (Note: Stirring the pumpkin for too long will burnt it.)
- Add in the deep fried prawns and mashed salted egg yolks. Stir well to ensure the prawns are well coated with the pumpkin and salted egg yolks. Dish and serve.