The weather is freaking nowadays, it can be bright and sunny with high temperatures and sudden thunderstorms thereafter. Grrrr… so to brace oneself from falling sick, let’s go for something light !
I think fish paste does add abit of springiness to meatballs, therefore I always like to include some of it into my minced mixture every time. Somehow, it gives an additional “fishball” taste but without going too overboard on being fishy. And this time, to enlighten it even more, I decided to exclude the poultry as well and to mix it directly with the prawns and steamed them with some egg tofu.
So here’s my simplified version of the Steamed Tofu with Minced Shrimp & Fish ! It’s a 4-step process of mix, marinate, place and steam ! You can get it done in less than 30 minutes (the marination can be done the day before though) !
But it isn’t that easy to find fish paste sold in supermarkets. At least not from the many that I have been to. So I had always count on my mum to get it from the wet markets if she happens to go. And surprisingly, from my last online fresh groceries shopping on PurelyFresh, I actually managed to find it sold from the website ! Surely and certainly, I have to stock up some, since I am always using fish paste as part of the ingredients for fresh meatballs. You can refer to my previous recipe for that here .
This is a very light and healthy dish that goes along with some plain congee, typically that of a “Teochew Mui” dish. Here’s how the fish paste came as. Mainly used for making fish balls, but some inclusion of it into other forms of cuisine is good too ! Cooking is all about creativity !
Perhaps next time I shall include some crab meat as well, to churn them into wholly wholesome seafood balls instead. Hahaha !! In the meantime, prepare a good pot of congee to go along with this light and healthy dish !
- 100g prawn, minced
- 100g fish paste
- 1 pack egg tofu
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- 3-4 stalks of coriander, diced
- some salt (for soaking the tofu)
- some water (for soaking the tofu)
- some cornflour (to sprinkle on the tofu)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hot cooking oil
- Mince the prawn and mash it thoroughly and combine with the fish paste. Add the carrots, coriander and marinade for at least an hour or the day before.
- Cut the egg tofu into 2-3 cm thick pieces. Place the tofu in salt water for 10 minutes. Remove and wipe dry before cooking (This helps to reduce less water during cooking or steaming.)
- Carefully place the tofu on a plate and using a paper tower to wipe off excess water (if any).
- Lightly sprinkle some cornflour on the surface of the tofu.
- Spoon the paste mixture and arrange them on the tofu.
- Use a large cloth to wrap the cover of the steamer. Steam the tofu in the steamer over high heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove and drizzle with the seasonings. Serve hot.