I was having this mad craving for some ultra rich mushroom soup so come the weekend, I decided I should make my own ! And topped with some homemade crotons as well because the pair just goes so well together. The ultra rich and creamy mushroom soup is a far cry from the one we often had outside where it’s usually too diluted and watery for our liking. And I actually use one whole pack of shiitake mushroom itself just for cooking this soup. Imagine the abundance of richness, I guess you can tell from the color of the soup itself.
And you are free to include any kinds of mushrooms you desire. Perhaps I should try it out with white button mushrooms next time so that it doesn’t appear so dark in color. For this soup, I did not use any thickening solution though the original recipe calls for it. I realised as you stirred and cooked the soup slightly longer, the thickness will increase, thereby eliminating the soup-thickening stage altogether.
And am so happy that I finally gotten my slow cooker as well ! Another item to strike off my wish list ! Gonna cooked some luscious and tasty home-made chinese soups for myself from now on !
Do stay tuned for more easy peasey slow cooker soup recipes soon. For the time being, enjoy mushrooming this ultra rich and creamy soup !
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 tbsp choppd garlic
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 80ml cooking cream
- 1 piece of bread
- 50g melted butter
- dash of salt
- For the Soup : Wipe mushrooms clean and diced them into small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy based saucepan. Add butter and vegetable oil. When butter starts to melt, add chopped garlic and stir fried until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cooked over medium heat until mushrooms are soft and fragrant.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover the saucepan with a lid and reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off. Cool slight and puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the saucepan.
- Warm over medium heat and add cream. Continue to stir until desired thickness. Serve with croutons.
- For the Croutons : Diced the bread into small pieces and coat them evenly with melted butter. Sprinkle salt over them.
- Preheated the oven at 160 degrees C and baked the croutons for 15 minutes until crunchy. Remove and serve with the mushroom soup.