I used to not being able to appreciate much of Korean food, but in the recent years, perhaps due to the influx of too much K-drama, it just dawn on me that perhaps I ought to try them out at home at least for once. And so, I started off with the simplest of all, the Bibimbap ! Although the individual ingredients needed to be cooked separately, but nevertheless it’s not a difficult one to come out with. And I often seen in shows that the Koreans love to chuck all the leftovers right from the fridge into the rice, add some hot chili paste and indulging in them happily. Well, because I don’t really enjoy cold food right from the fridge, so I did some slight cooking for every ingredient before mixing them all. So mine is kinda a fake Bibimbap. Hahaha !
It’s a bit tough to cook small portions for this unless you can really eat alot ! Otherwise, by the end of the meal, I am sure you will be rubbing your tummy and telling yourself, no more bibimbap for the next few months ! I guess I lost control of the serving portions and in order not to waste it, I had it for 3 meals consecutively. And gosh, that got me really steer clear of Korean food for the next one whole month ! Hahaha ! Ok, so now I declare the “ban” is officially lifted. My craving has just came back though.
Although many will use a sunny side egg for the “centrepiece” but I prefer fried egg instead and had them cut them into strips to fit that little area.
So here’s my first attempt at Korean Bibimbap ~~ How do I fare ?
- 100g minced pork
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 150g spinach (mildly seasoned with sesame oil and roasted sesame seeds)
- 150g cabbage (cooked with garlic and 2 tsp of sugar)
- 100g shiitake mushroom (cooked with dash of salt and black pepper)
- 100g carrots (cooked with dash of salt and black pepper)
- 4-5 serving portions of steamed rice
- 4-5 eggs
- Some cooking oil
- 2 tbsp korean hot chili/pepper paste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water (or more if it's too spicy for you)
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Season the meat with the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar for 30 minutes. Add some cooking oil into the wok and cook the garlic until fragrant. Add the meat and cook on medium heat until the meat is cooked, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Blanch the spinach in hot boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain it and season with some sesame oil and roasted sesame seeds.
- Heat up some cooking oil and stir fried some garlic until fragrant. Add in the cabbage and sugar and stir fried until soft.
- Clean and rinse the shiitake mushroom and sliced them thinly. Add some cooking oil and dash of salt and black pepper and cook the mushroom on medium heat until cooked.
- Rinse, peel and julienne the carrots. Add some cooking oil, dash of salt and black pepper and cook the carrots on medium to high heat for 2 minutes.
- Make sunny side egg or fried egg as preferred.
- Mix all the Bibimbap sauce in a bowl.
- Put the rice in a huge serving bowl, add the meat, vegetables, mushrooms, egg and bibimbap sauce on top of the rice. Serve.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in the serving bowl and enjoy!