Sticky, chewy, crunchy are not just for candies or sweets ! You can rejuvenate them into little cakes as well. And here’s how I did them ! I was so worried initially when I first looked at the muffins and was thinking… Gosh, they have to go into the dustbin.. but I decided to give them a try nevertheless and surprisingly, they aren’t that bad after all. All because of the ugly outlook that presents a crusty top with some sticky caramelized candy being melt into them. After all, they are a huge deviation from the standard muffins and the first look might just turn you off, like what they did to me ! But I am glad I never give up on them still ! Hahaha !!
Here’s how you eat these muffins. The top layer – a thin layer of crusty top (best when it’s still slightly warm), with a rich milo-chocolately middle cake and extra crunch from the milk chocolate coated English toffee bits that are generously sprinkled. The milo milk reduces the bitterness of the chocolate slightly and the toffee bits added some sweetness. When the muffins have cooled down, the toffee bits hardened slightly and provided a sweet crunchy and nutty aftertaste.
So you get to have sticky, chewy, crusty, crunchy, sweety, nutty and bitterly all in one of these muffins !! Hahahah !!
Just in case you are wondering where I gotten from English Toffee bits from… they can be found on Amazon in various flavors and types !
- 112g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 84g sugar
- 120g of English Toffee Bits
- 120ml of milo drink
- 45ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Grease and line the muffin tray with paper cups.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the milo drink, oil, egg and vanilla extract together.
- Add the sugar and english toffee bits and then re-sieve the flour mix on top.
- Mix quickly and lightly in one direction.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tray till they are 2/3 full. Sprinkle extra toffee bits on top as desired and bake at 200 degrees C for the first 10 minutes and reduce the temperature to 160 degrees C and continue to bake for the remaining 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm.