Salted egg yolk seems to goes well with anything.. from seafood to poultry ! Previously I attempted the salted egg yolk prawns, so here I am trying out another recipe for bite sized chicken pieces. But somehow I still prefer the prawns earlier…
The difference in these 2 recipes is the missing custard cream is this current recipe and wholly and solely using salted egg yolk ! So you can imagine the very luscious taste of this salted egg yolk chicken.
I guess the latest news that hit us quite badly is the health condition of Mr. LKY. While some of us might not necessary agree with the government’s policies and measures over the years, but as a founder of the state, his contribution and efforts should never be doubted. And I believe most of us would not be where we are, if not for him. After all, he ‘s a frail old man with illness now, so let’s keep all the harsh political comments aside for now and as a human with heart, hope and pray that he can pull through.
Coming back to the salted egg yolk chicken, the original recipe uses 6 salted egg yolks but I only bought a box of 4 at that point in time so it really isn’t quite enough to fully coat all the chicken pieces with that. So I guess it’s more advisable to stick to the original quantity unless you prefer something that’s less salty.
Here’s the recipe.
- 6 cooked salted egg yolks
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 2 chili padis
- 2 pieces of boneless chicken legs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Mash salted egg yolks finely.
- Heat 2 tbsps of cooking oil, fry salted egg yolks over the heat until foamy.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry leaves and chili padis and fry until fragrant. Set aside.
- Mix the boneless chicken legs with seasonings and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg and mix well with chicken, coat with cornstarch.
- Heat oil and deep fry chicken until golden brown, remove and drain well.
- Heat a pan, add chicken, golden salted egg yolk sauce, stir quickly and let chicken coat well with salted egg yolk.