Just when you thought you need an air fryer, but an oven can do the trick equally well and probably simpler too !
You would need to remind yourself to remove the tray in the airfryer halfway through the cooking time to give it a good shake so that the crab sticks do not stick to each other, but with an oven, you could care less about that.
All you gotta do is to peel them into slices, place them onto a shallow baking tray and ensuring they do not touch each other, pop them into the oven, and enjoy the crispy and crunchy crab sticks thereafter ! A lower and longer baking time ensure they are baked thoroughly without the need of having to remove the tray halfway through the baking time to flip the crab sticks.
Tried some commercial purchase crab sticks vs home deep fried version vs this baked version using different brands of crab sticks.
Verdict : The baked ones wins in terms of preparation. DODO brand of crab sticks is my preference as they come with a lesser stench and has a slight saltiness.
And this makes a cheap and good Kero-pok to snack on anytime. But why do people have them only during CNY ???
- 1 pack of imitation crab sticks
- Peel the crab sticks into slices. Place them side by side on a shallow baking tray, ensuring that they do not touch each other.
- Bake in the oven at 140 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before consuming/storing them in air tight containers.
- Apply a layer of melted butter onto the baking paper before use so that the crab sticks do not stick to the paper.