It was the weekend and all the time for baking. It was an impromptu bake though, as my original intention was to bake some breads on a Sunday, with Saturday preparing for the overnight sponge dough, but since there was available time, I churned out a Coconut Almond Chiffon Cake as well.
With coconut and almonds nibs forming the core of the cake, you can be pretty sure of the strong scented aroma that comes off with it.
Especially when the dessicated coconut has been pre-toasted to a light brown, it adds to the overall aromatic fragrance that fills the house during the baking process.
Chiffon cake is by nature soft and spongy and probably abit on the dry side. The almond nibs give the cake an extra slight crunch which makes the cake feels less drying.
I paired coconut and almonds when I was coming up with Chunky Cooky’s cookies ideas. And here I am utilizing them in a cake bake as well. Haha. In a way, I manage to kill 2 birds with one stone. ^-^
In the meantime, I am off to play with my new kitchen toys !! Happy baking and enjoy feasting on the cake or even viewing it can be a nice pleasure too and that probably explains for my huge collection of cookbooks which though I never get to make full use of them well, they serve as motivational factors to spur me to do it…. ONE FINE DAY ! Hehehe.
Coconut & Almond Chiffon Cake
By March 26, 2014Published:
- Yield: 8 slices (3-4 Servings)
- Prep: 35 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
-recipe adapted from Kevin Chai's Chiffon Cake is Done- WITH MODICATIONS
- 4 pcs egg yolk (egg yolk batter)
- 40 ml cooking oil (egg yolk batter)
- 100 ml coconut milk (egg yolk batter) - I used 50g of coconut cream powder mixed with adequate boiling water to form 100ml.
- 30 g toasted dessicated coconut (egg yolk batter)
- 40 g toasted almond nibs (egg yolk batter)
- 40 g caster sugar (egg yolk batter)
- 100 g self-raising flour (egg yolk batter) - I used plain flour with 1 tsp of baking powder
- 4 pcs egg white (egg white foam)
- 80 g caster sugar (egg white foam)
- To make egg yolk batter, combine egg yolks, cooking oil, coconut milk, dessicated coconut, almond nibls and sugar in a mixing bowl, fold in lour until forms batter.
- To make egg white foam, beat egg whites until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until frothy and stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into egg yolk batter until blended.
- Pour batter into ungreased 7 or 8 inch tube pan. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degrees for 40 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cooled.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress